So far, it's been almost 6 weeks being in the hospital. Nevertheless, some interesting patients that never fails to make me ponder. Some didn't wanna go back home when they are all well already.. and then made up stories saying hand pain.. Some took methamphetamine and OD and finally had seizures.. kept fighting back, restless and got to put him into sedation mode.. Some had their hands amputated due to machinery in the factory... haih. A lot la, but there's one case caught my eye..
While I was clerking my patient, the patient beside my patient kept vomiting. She looked frail and weak. Young as well, very fair and thin. I pitied her because for that 2 days being there to follow up, she can't stop vomiting and kept complaining that she's in pain or asking her mom what is wrong with her..
Well, not until my friend told me her story. Then I was in disbelieve. I have to read her case notes.
So I read her case notes. This is her mom's side of story, because she was too weak to talk on her own. She was in this ward for a month plus already, and for all the same reason. Vomiting. Type 1 DM. Diabetic ketoacidosis.
Okay, so here is the story :
She lost her father since 3 years old. Started to get rebellious since form 1. Nothing particularly happened until form 5. She took 'ice' (methamphetamine), and locked herself in the room where her mom cannot access. Only she has the key to the room. She will locked herself in the room, and take 'ice' with other guys. She used to have sexual intercourse with guys after knowing them for a few days in the church. CHURCH. Then, my friend told me that the doctors can't find her vein probably because shes an IVDU. ZzZzzz... bites her boyfriend when she's angry. Mom has depression, probably due to her.
Right. So after knowing her character... I was... indeed.. in shock. She looks soooo innocent. She had the purest look. She doesn't seem like the type of girl who will go rebellious. She looks like a girl who is nerdy, follows her mom instructions and smart. No... NEVER JUDGE BOOK BY ITS COVER. Today, I saw her boyfriend and her boyfriend looks so innocent too. I thought that her boyfriend may have been the culprit of all her wrongdoings.. but he looked so.. pure again. My friend told me that the boyfriend was complaining that why is she not improving and why did the doctors just flip her case notes and do nothing to improve her condition. HAH, if I got that sort of comment from a patient, I'll 'nicely' scold him back man. I would say "EXCUSE ME, what just flipping?! If you know how to treat, please by all means treat her by yourself. Respect us as a healthcare professional, WE KNOW what we're doing and if your gf doesn't respond to the treatment, then we have to opt for different treatment and hence WE FLIP PAGES to know her progress. "
Okay anyway, that said.. she's only 25 this year. Purest look you can think of. Innocent. And blah, NOT. SO NOT. Way overboard.
You know, the next day when I saw her vomiting again, I was like.. aih, I guess it's God's way to punish your wrongdoings. I shall not show empathy. Then again, as a part in a healthcare team, I should not be judgmental. But afterall, I'm only human. I guess I should be stonehearted to every patient then. Then at least, I won't be judgmental. Mehs.
Lesson learnt : Do not judge book by its cover. Most innocent look girls may be more rebellious than a bitch. Oh boy.